Pages

Saturday, December 11, 2010

10 Things no one tell you.

Post Baby Edition:

1. There are a lot of hormones.  A LOT.  Like I cry at the drop of a hat.  For no reason mostly.  Something makes me happy, I cry.  Something makes me sad, I cry.  That coupled with the lack of sleep situation makes the first few weeks at home not so pleasant.

2. The second baby is not as exciting as the first.  And this is something I've struggled with a lot, even during my pregnancy.  I know people love the new baby and of course she's just as important, but she certainly has had way less of a greeting than Miss Lily did.  Obviously this is to be expected as I don't need a shower, and we don't need any gifts.  But for some reason it makes me sad none-the-less.

3. Life is NOT the same.  And it won't be.  For a very very long time.  You are tired, and even the most patient, loving person will have a few breakdowns where you want nothing more than to put the baby back where she came from.

4.  Your baby doesn't do much.  Or really anything at all.  I figure most people KNOW this, but just don't quite realize it.  They pretty much sleep, cry, poop and eat.  And it'll actually be a few months before they smile and interact and stay awake longer than a half hour or so at a time.

5. If you decide not to Breastfeed, be prepared for a couple of days of agony when your milk comes in.  You will cry.  Enough said.

6.  All you want to do is sleep.  And I've always been a big "sleep when the baby sleeps" kinda girl.  I did with Lily and it was glorious.  However this time, I have a 2 year old too which makes it difficult to just take a nap.  But still.  Nap when you can.  Ain't no shame in it.

7. You don't have to do it all.  You don't have to feel like YOU have to do everything.  If people offer to help, take it and run!  And of course, ASK for help when you need it.

8. No one will care if your house is messy.  They didn't come to see the house anyway and chances are they will understand that you just had a baby and are tired and you don't really care if the dishes never get done again.

9. It's true, as soon as the baby exits your body, no one will ask about you anymore.  Clearly they were in it purely for the baby.  And that's ok.  After 9 months of people asking you how you feel, you'll most likely welcome the break.

10. You will probably love your baby right away but you may not like her.  I mean, it takes a while to get to know each other and figure each other out.  And remember Number 4?  But they grow on you with time and soon you won't be able to imagine life any other way than it is now.

1 comment:

  1. I love this list, its all so true (not that i have a second child, but ya know). I hope you learn to love your new life and enjoy most moments of it!!!! And yes, NO ONE cares if your house isn't spotless. Obviously if someones house was spotless you could assume they don't spend as much time with the kiddos, but then again we shouldn't assume anything anyways. LOL

    Can't wait to see you again soon Miranda! We'll plan something!

    ReplyDelete